Solar Active Region AR 2741

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

UFOs in my TV-85?

Started by mcneely_dupe_5262, 06/19/2007 08:05PM
Posted 06/19/2007 08:05PM Opening Post
No, I haven't gone crazy. I was observing with the TV-85 tonight and facing north. I noticed two bright satellites emerge in the northwest. They drifted slowly together and were separated by a little over 2 degrees. I was able to identify the ISS, I could see its solar panels, and I reasoned that the other satellite was the space shuttle Atlantis (I came in later and checked).

In the extreme east, I was able to hold both craft in the same eyepiece field as they entered earth's shadow. They both had a reddish tone before winking out into tiny points.

I had three good looks at the ISS. Luckily I had my scope mounted on a Tele-Pod, and it is easy to move around quickly compared to an equatorial mount.

I also enjoyed the line of Venus, Saturn, the Moon, and Regulus in the western sky. The moon was very close to Regulus, and I could see them together in the low power field provided by a 26mm TeleVue plossl.

A lovely night here in Northern Indiana. Our state just adopted daylight saving time last year, and since we are on eastern time it doesn't get truly dark until around 11:00 pm.

Michael Aaron McNeely
TeleVue Forum Moderator
Astromart.com
Posted 06/19/2007 08:18PM #1
I saw it too. Thought it was two airplanes at first until I realized that it was out in space.

Rolando
Posted 06/20/2007 07:02AM #2
Alas, we were having thunderstorms here last night, and so had no chance to see the ISS and Atlantis close together. We have a nice ISS pass here tonight, but I believe Atlantis will no longer be close by.

I did look at the pair on Monday night though my Stowaway. The solar arrays are certainly easy to see.

Clear skies, Alan