M8 & M20 Wide Field

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

William Optics vs. TeleVue

Started by mcneely_dupe_5262, 05/10/2008 08:14PM
Posted 05/10/2008 08:14PM | Edited 05/10/2008 08:39PM Opening Post
Hi, I wanted to ask if anyone had directly compared the TeleVue 60 to the William Optics ZenithStar 66 SD? Is there a significant difference between these two scopes (other than cost)? Thanks.

Michael Aaron McNeely
TeleVue Forum Moderator
Astromart.com
Posted 05/10/2008 08:33PM #1
Yes I have. At low powers they are identical, but get over 100x the TV-60 shows its superiority. Slip in a 3mm Radian, look at something bright like Vega and the difference is quite obvious. The quality of the TV-60 feels more superior. The helical focuser of the TV-60 is great for fine focusing. I did not notice the brightness due to the extra 6mm of aperture....it was easy for me to make the choice to sell the WO and keep the TV.
Ivan
Posted 05/11/2008 08:21AM | Edited 05/11/2008 08:23AM #2
Michael McNeely said:

Hi, I wanted to ask if anyone had directly compared the TeleVue 60 to the William Optics ZenithStar 66 SD? Is there a significant difference between these two scopes (other than cost)? Thanks.

I'd say so. At about twice the price of the 66 for the base TV model there oughta be.

That said, you have to axe yourself if the price jump is worth the performance increase. These are both small aperture scopes, afterall.

Me? I find the WO 66 just the thing. Visually, it's great...it's not like I'm gonna push a 66mm scope to 300x. I've also had very good luck with it for imaging with the ST2000.

IMHO, the 66 and the similar scopes from Astronomics are the worthy successors to the vaunted Short Tube 80. Capable (far more so than that old warhorse) yet still cheap.

And yet...if you're engaged in pursuits like demanding imaging with a large chip camera, I wouldn't fault you for choosing the TV. Can't go wrong there if you are willing to pay the fare.

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/