University Class Telescope
You have all seen this Telescope before. Some have made comments about it. Some have dreamed about it. I am here to endorse and advertise this magnificent and unique opportunity. Dr. Ed Noffisinger's story of "dream to reality" brought some of the very best together. This Professional Observatory Class instrument was crafted by the late Edward R. Byers who coupled 3 OTAs from Barry Grainger of D&G optical with 2 OTAs from Del Woods. This "dream" took 15 years to complete and will never be repeated. Here is what is being offered.
- Byers Series III Mount: This mounting is unique as it is oversized in key areas. This mount sports both Analog and Digital Setting Circles. Mount incorporates a very heavy 18" RA gear and a 15" Dec gear that is well suited to this cluster of telescopes.
- 12” F12.2 D&G Refractor OTA with Anti-reflection coatings
- (2) 5”F30 D&G Refracting OTAs designed for Planetary & Solar observations
- (2) 3”F30 Daystar Singlet’s designed by Bob Mortimer and Del Woods for Hydrogen Alpha and Calcium Solar observing.
- Custom Byers tailstock machining for the 12” incorporating a special dual focuser for both Helical and rack adjustments.
- Custom Byers counterweight system on the OTA for flexible OTA balancing.
- Custom Byers ring system for all OTAs allowing alignment of all optical systems
- Custom Byers machine work (for example, earthquake struts)
- A white light Mylar filter included for the 12” and 3 aperture stops
- Custom machined caps protect the OTAs
- 61” Byers Pier (not pictured) is included
No peripherals are included like eyepieces, diagonals or solar filters.
If your interests are Planetary or Solar then this telescope represents the very best. Both Byers and D&G acknowledge that this system represents their finest work. Imagine owing the best Byers mounting available and a 12” lens crafted to optical perfection. Letters from both Byers and D&G are available that represent these facts.
With the unfortunate recent passing of Ed Byers and with D&G Optical no longer making large refractors of this size, this is a unique and irreplaceable instrument of highest quality that will never be duplicated. Unfortunately, due to Dr. Noffsinger's unexpected health problems, this telescope has hardly been used.
Buyer coordinates and pays for crating and shipping. Telescope resides with Dr. Noffsinger at his location in Santa Cruz California. Some who know me understand my connection and knowledge of this system. I can help coordinate, dismantle, ship and re-assemble if desired.
To the right amateur astronomer, University or research institute – this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Pictures and documentation upon request- Questions please contact me
- SkyShed Observatories
- Astromart Customer Service
- DayStar Filters, LLC
- Mathis Instruments
- Anacortes Telescope Web Guy
- AstroMart LLC
- New Mexico Skies, Inc
- Matsumoto Company
- GetLeadsFast, LLC
- Desert Sky Astro Products
- Anacortes Telescope
- AG Optical Systems
View all sponsors