Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Life is not a free ride!

Started by fblue, 11/23/2005 06:16AM
Posted 11/23/2005 06:16AM Opening Post
Sorry, but I just don't buy all the "It's just too much trouble" or the "I don't have a credit card and it takes too long to mail a check" as good excuses for thinking that this is all a free ride.
All my life I have listened to people telling me that they would like to help, but not right now.
If you have car, everyone is willing to go with you, but no one wants to help out with gas money. That was the way it was all through college. If it was free, then everyone was willing to go, but if they had to cough up a little cash, it was "No, I have something else to do".
Life is not a free ride, it never has been. You don't get a magazine unless you pay for it. You don't get a beer if you don't pay for it. So just why should you expect to have a place to meet, sell things and get information all for free?
I just don't understand. A guy will have thousands of dollars in scopes and equipment, but they are too cheap to pay a few bucks for their favorite hang out! :S I guess this is just over my head.

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager
Posted 11/23/2005 03:48PM #1
I agree completely, Floyd. It's only fair to ask for a few dollars to pay for the operation of a website that benefits the community as much as Astromart. It's the onlysecure and exclusive place I know to trade equipment and information. I appreciate the tight ship when it comes to people's money.

However, it's been free for so long that charging will be difficult. I learned a long time ago that asking people to pay for something they've been getting for free just doesn't work. And asking the heaviest users to subsidize the rest through contributions is just penalizing them.

Better to charge a small fee to everyone, let the complainers walk away, and not have to deal with the headaches.

Bob
Posted 11/23/2005 04:38PM #2
I don't think that Astromart users should have to pay a fee for reading - News, Reviews, Forums, or Calendar information. This website is provided by Anacortes and other business sponsors and represents the purchase of a business asset called 'goodwill'. I would never have found Anacortes or purchased a telescope through them if I hadn't stumbled across astromart. It's simply very good advertising - an astronomical version of the Nextel Cup or any other corporate sponsored happening. If there are problems in the auction arena, perhaps sellers and buyers should pay transaction and listing fees as needed. 8)

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]