Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Ball heads anyone?

Started by Steven lynn, 05/28/2004 11:44PM
Posted 05/28/2004 11:44PM Opening Post
That b-a-l-l heads. Not bald--yet! On to this issue: I recently acquired a pair of 70mm and a pair of 80mm binoculars, and have have been lurking around here and elsewhere for recommendations on tripods and heads to put them on. I haven't seen anyone recommend, or even comment on, ball heads for astro use. I've almost settled on a Bogen 501, but I do see some minor bargains in used equipment.

Anyone out there have any nay or yay on ball heads, either in general or specific ones?

The only thing wrong with censorship is [deleted].

Posted 05/29/2004 05:58AM #1
At a remote desert star party in '95, a fellow stargazer introduced his Bogen 3265 (grip-action ball) setup to my Fujinon 11x70s. While I don't recall the tripod used, I *do* remember the platform as being plenty firm and solid for the heavy Fujis. The grip-action worked easily and positively, and the head locked into position with no slippage. The head has a ~5.5-lb. working load capacity. I was fairly well impressed with the setup.

Bogen has recently introduced a new grip-action ball head called the 322RC2, whose working capacity is 11 lbs (although ~5.5 lb. when vertically oriented). The 322 also has a lower profile. Haven't tried the new head, so I can't offer any practical observations or impressions. Both the 3265 and 322RC2 have friction adjustment wheels to "tailor" the head to a given load.

...No, I'm not a Bogen dealer. :-)

Best wishes.
-Dan
Posted 06/01/2004 05:33PM #2
I have seen the Bogen grip action heads at scope shows but did not get one because of the rated 5.5 lb load limit.

I have two Bogen 3128 fluid heads rated for 8.8 lb load but find that they work bettwer with about 1/2 the load. Bought the 501 head about 2.5 years ago and liked it so much I purchased a second one a year later. I really like the adjustable tension feature of the 501 head. Works great with my 5.5 lb 20X80 bino and 8.5 lb 25X100. Street price is ~$135. I'd recommend getting a 2nd pan handle and addtional QR plate. I've spent plenty on many lower cost tripods and decided to get the good ones from now on.

Erik D