My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

New Binocular Advice

Started by dbrokof, 12/31/2003 09:41PM
Posted 12/31/2003 09:41PM Opening Post
Hi,

I am currently looking at a decent pair of new Binoculars for Astronomy and the sort but wanted to get some advice on what might be good as far as Brands and Models. My only constraint is that I'd like to stay below $200 if at all possible. I'm currently thinking about a good pair of 10x50's but there are so many to choose from. If anyone has any ideas or advice I'd love to her it.

Thanks and clear, dark, steady skies to you,

David

D. Brokofsky
Lincoln, NE

120mm Synta Refractor "Bluey"
115mm Jason Newtonian "Junior"
12x50 Orion Worldview Binos
10x50 Jason Binos

Comets - [COLOR="Blue"]Forum Moderator[/COLOR]
Posted 01/01/2004 08:55AM #1
David Brokofsky allows:

<>

I'd see two possible good choices. In 10x50, Minolta Activa 10x50 gets you a weatherproof, fog-proof wide-field binocular, that can be handheld. It's usable for slightly longer range terrestrial (nature/birding) as well as astronomy.

If you're OK with astronomy only, and don't mind using a tripod, then Oberwerek 15x70, actually costing a bit less, will also get you into the game at under $200. I would consider getting their heavy duty C-mount binocular adapter, that allows mounting a zero power finder.

Posted 01/02/2004 04:44PM #2
What David Brokofsky didn't mention was whether he already had ANY pair of full-size binocular. If he already has, for example, 8 x 40/42, then the 15 x 70 makes a good introduction to an astronomical binocular, and the two can be used at night in a complementary fashion.

But if he has NO full-size binocular, i.e., objective at least 40 mm, then a good dual purpose 10 x 50 makes even more sense. Later, if he feels he can use something larger, then the available selection of 20 x 80-90 makes that the choice for a second pair, obviously requiring tripod mounting.

The Oberwerk line now has, for example, a choice of THREE models in that group, which vary in construction, weight and eye relief, all important factors to consider.