My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

What am I missing?

Started by Steve Stonehill, 08/17/2003 07:27AM
Posted 08/17/2003 07:27AM Opening Post
Hello,

I just received a premium pair of BVs and I'm using them with a 10" Newt and a 4" refractor. At similar powers I cannot see a difference between them and and a monocular view. I've tried them on the moon, Mars, and terrestrial. Even when I close one eye and re-open it the view is no different. Is the BV experience intangible or is it possible that I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Steve
Posted 08/17/2003 09:31AM #1
Steve,

My first night with the binoviewers in my 10" dob was disappointing as well. I definitely did not see what the big deal was. The moon was nice and all, but Jupiter was not any better than one eyed viewing. And deep sky, forget about it.

But three nights later, you couldn't pry those things out of my dob. I think for some folks, there is an adjustment period after you have looked at stuff cyclops for so long. Give them a few more nights.

I think the fact that the brain is much more involved in binoviewing makes it more subjective as well. When I let folks at my club look through the binos, there are some holy mareds and there are some ho hums. But by the end of the night, I ususally can't get my binoviewers out of the observatory's CGE 1400.

Clear skies,

Tom