10 inch Meade too heavy, need lighter scope

Started by Tom Bourg, 09/16/2004 05:47PM
Posted 09/16/2004 05:47PM | Edited 09/16/2004 06:01PM Opening Post
Hello,

Here's one that is an exercise in your personal preference.

I've developed a condition (multiple myeloma) that has caused me to become much weaker and I find that my 62# Meade 10" CAT is getting too heavy for me to move comfortably. I have a Scopesaver on the tripod so putting the scope on the tripod isn't that bad right now.

I see a time in the not too distant future where moving this thing to a dark site won't be possible without help, so I am considering another scope.

I purchased an Orion Skyview Pro 127 Mak that I am very happy with. I believe the optics are at least as good as the Meade's but I would like more aperture.

Here is what I have come up with as possible solutions to my problem.Some of you can probably come up with better solutions than I have.

Trading my 10" Meade Cat for an 8" Meade Cat.
Trading my Meade for a 10" Celestron with a German mount (each component would weigh less and be more manageable).
Selling my scope and getting a portable Dob, like an Orion or similar 10" (might still be too heavy).
Going the Truss DOB route with a TScope 13 or 14" or similar--Really my first choice, a lot of bucks, but you only live once.

I've seen several truss dobs for sale in the classifieds, but most sellers want pickup only and here in Louisiana I would have a long drive to Arizona or California where most seem to be sold. smile

So, what would you guys do? Although I have been into astronomy for over 40 years, I am not an equipment expert by any means so this is a serious question.

One more thing is that I really like Newtonians, and the chance to go up in aperture, even if I give up tracking would be a plus in my book.

Any and all opinions are welcome. And if you have come up with some way to easily move a 10" Meade Cat, I would be interested in that too.

Thanks guys, I really enjoy following the threads here and occassionally responding when I feel I have something positive to add.

Good skies everyone,

Tom Bourg
Baton Rouge, La--where Ivan didn't hit.
Posted 09/16/2004 07:03PM #1
Tom,

I too had a Meade 10" that was getting to heavy for me. I sold it (on ASTROMART) and bought a 14" Tscope. Astronomywise it's the best thing I have ever done. I love my new scope, and Ed (the maker) is really good to work with.

Dave Kovich
Posted 09/16/2004 07:26PM | Edited 09/16/2004 07:36PM #2
hi,

Starmaster has an 11" in stock see here:

http://starmastertelescopes.com/html/in-stock.htm

here's the ultimate in portablitiy 1 left in stock

http://www.infinityscopes.com/OrderPage.htm

They are a bit pricey but both are great scopes.

another option is to buy this gizmo and put your 10: meaad ota on it

http://www.discmounts.com

and finally the unistar mount at Universal Astronomics ..I have this mount and use a C8 on it, it will probably carry a 9.25" scope

http://www.universalastronomics.com/

clear skies,

Larry Citro
Posted 09/16/2004 07:39PM | Edited 09/16/2004 07:41PM #3
The truss dob route could be really nice. With ramps and wheelbarrow handles you really don't have to lift much at all, looking at any individual piece. You'd need a truck/wagon/SUV, though, to make use of the ramps. I see quite a few Astromart sellers from Texas, which I assume could be close enough to you for a reasonable halfway meeting.

A 10" tube dob would be cheaper, but I think a big 35-lb tube would be tougher to move around than the pieces for a 12"-14" truss dob.

Regards,

Duane

Posted 09/16/2004 07:46PM #4
Have you considered a permanent mount with some sort of roll-off shed? For portability, a good 3 to 4 inch refractor is practical.

Russ Schnitzer
Posted 09/16/2004 10:54PM #5
And if you have come up with some way to easily move a 10" Meade Cat, I would be interested in that too.

Obviously there's no easy way to make the Meade SCT lighter short of removing it from the fork mount but you can construct a neckstrap to help support the scope while carrying it. Since the Meade SCTs are especially awkward to carry, this really helps. I wish I'd made one sooner. Here's what you need:

* 2 strong nylon dog collars with plastic connectors (not buckles). $2 each.
* 2 stout metal D-rings or hoops. I found a pair of hoops at Lowes. $2 each?
* 2 metal clasping connectors used by rope climbers. Again, Lowes. $2 each?
* 3 yards of 3" nylon strapping like what's used for guitar straps. < $10
* 1 neckstrap adjuster for lack of a better word. It's the thing you use to adjust the length of a guitar strap. I'm sure you can find these at fabric stores but I sacrificed an old guitar strap for mine.
* Strong nylon thread. Go to the fabric store's re-upholstery section.
* Access to a sewing machine with a stout tent- or canvas-sewing needle

Wrap the dog collars around the base of the forks. Adjust them so that they're tight. Shouldn't be any play otherwise they might slide when you lift on them.

Construct the neckstrap just like a guitar or luggage strap but make sure the big metal rings are at the end. This will involve sewing one of the rings to one end of the 3" strap. Thread the other end of the strap through the outer two openings of the strap adjuster and then through the other loop. Then attach the end to the center piece of the strap adjuster. Take a look at how a guitar strap or luggage strap is assembled if I'm not making any sense. Make sure you do a good job sewing the pieces together.

So for less than $20 you can make carrying your Meade SCT far, far easier and safer. It's not difficult to expand on this idea and do a padded neckstrap or maybe even a full shoulder harness like you see used with large brush cutters.

Here's what mine looks like:

http://sackheads.org/~mayfield/pics/neckstrap/neckstrap1.jpg
http://sackheads.org/~mayfield/pics/neckstrap/neckstrap2.jpg

(I hope this msg's formatting looks okay. It looks weird in the preview screen)
Posted 09/16/2004 10:59PM #6

Hello, Tgm,
A few more alternatives you could check out:
An 8 or 10 inch Mag1 Portaball. Very small, portable, Zambuto optics. Considerable wait time though. And expensive.
An 8 inch Starbuckets ultralight. Looks good, short wait, but expensive.
A 6 inch f5 from Stargazer Steve for widefield richest field telescope work. Not expensive.
A Plettstone 12.5 or 15 inch.
Maybe someone could make you a version IV of Albert Highe's 12.5 inch scope. Total weight 40 lbs.
Hope this helps,
Bill Meyers
Posted 09/17/2004 03:42AM #7
Tom,
You might consider a 12.5" NightSky Scope by Jim Nadeau over in Lacomb. You could easily go over to pick it up. If you order before his 10/31 price increase it would be in your range - $2795. It should be manageable, and would perform much better than the extra aperture of 2.5" than an Orion dob. I just moved from an Orion 8" dob (that is a great little scope) to a NightSky 16" and it is superb. Jim uses Pegasus mirrors by John Hall - who taught Carl Zambuto how to make mirrors. They are premium mirrors. And for you in Baton Rouge, Jim is not far away.
My 2 cents.

Jason Fry
Posted 09/17/2004 12:03PM #8
Here's a suggestion: Sell the 10" Meade and buy an I-cubed image intensifying eyepiece to use on your Mak. wink
Posted 09/17/2004 03:01PM #9
Since you enjoy using a SCT, have you considered buying a new Celestron SCT. The 11" has a carbon fiber tube, which is supposed to be considerably lighter than Meade's metal tube. In fact, I see where Meade no longer lists the weight of their scopes in their advertising literature, which is probably in response to the weight difference between their and Celestron's product. I wouldn't doubt that you could shave 15 to 20 pounds just by switching to the Celestron.