Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

A simple request!

Started by dhvd79a, 07/12/2005 05:22PM
Posted 07/12/2005 05:22PM Opening Post
Does someone have experience with both the CG-5 goto and CGE mounts and would be willing to write up a little comparison from real world experience?

Thanks,

dave
Posted 07/12/2005 05:30PM #1
might want to post in the Celestron forum.... What is it your trying to compare? Both are VERY different Mounts in that the CGE is much larger, much more acurate, etc.....The only thing in common is that they are both GEM's and have GOTO.
Posted 07/12/2005 07:33PM #2
Hi:

I've used both. The CG5 rather extensively. Bottom line?

Goto is substantially more accurate on the CG5 than on the CGE. Even when CGE users do the "cone" alignment using a 3rd star (the CG 5 basically forces you to do a cone alignment every time). In my experience, the goto accuracy of the CG5 is typically at <10', and often, with careful setup, <3'. Goto accuracy is something a lot of CGE users seem to struggle with.

Payload-wise, however, the CGE is certainly in another class altogether...in spades. You won't be hanging a C14 off your CG5...though the folks who bought the C11 configuration of the ASGT seem happy with it. It's just about perfect for a C8, however. The tripod of the CG5 is very nice indeed, and makes it so much more stable than what we've seen with earlier GP clones.

Tracking? The PE on the CGE is lower, but the CG5 is not bad in this regard. Unfortunately, the CG 5 does not feature PEC. Since most users tend to guide with webcams/Guidedog, it really doesn't matter that much.

I assume the higher goto accuracy of the CG 5 is a software thing. The CGE is a very nice mount--a beautiful mount, IMHO--just what it should have been, a fix for the problems of the CI 700. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have got the software _quite_ right. If I had a need for a GEM for a C11, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the CGE, even knowing that it's not quite as good in the goto department as it probably should be.

Peace,
Rod Mollise

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/
Posted 07/12/2005 07:39PM #3
Oh, let me add that if I were looking for a mount in this payload range (actually with a higher payload capacity than the CGE or G11), but for less money, I'd look at the EQ6 Skyscan. I haven't used one yet, but apparently Synta has worked out the problems with the PE that affected the original EQ6, and has added a reliable goto system. Since Synta now owns Celestron, I wouldn't be overly surprised to see Celestron offer some OTAs on the Skyscan. ;-)

Peace,
Rod

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/