My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Buying a Telescope - Part 3

Started by davidcolton, 09/15/2002 03:04PM
Posted 09/15/2002 03:04PM Opening Post
Part 3
Of course, by now I was becoming a true amateur astronomer because I was getting instrument fever. About three years ago I purchased a Meade ETX90 RA. This introduced me to the world of telescope accessories (sound familiar?). I purchased a JMI wedgepod, Orion Sirius plossl eyepieces, Orion filters, Orion lunar filter, an Orion solar filter, and an Orion EZ finder. (Guess who’s on Orion’s mailing list?) I probably learned more about telescopes from this experience than anything I had done to date. For example, I find most views with the ETX90 to be mushy much above 110x, which makes sense given its aperture and central obstruction. However, it is a very good visual instrument at lower powers. I hardily recommend the purchase of a solar filter and a yellow and red filter, as the view of sunspots have been fantastic. Also, given its focal length, the ETX90 is not a good wide field instrument, even with a 32mm eyepiece. Still, I have a lot to learn to get more out of this instrument and so enjoy visiting Weasner’s Mighty ETX website and may buy his book on the ETX as well.

I also bought a good pair of binoculars (Nikon 10x50), which I tried out before I purchased. Although they cost about $140, they were well worth it, as the views are crisp and clear. I bought an outdoor chair from Sam’s Club this summer, which has a reclining back and so with autumn’s clear sky’s I’m looking forward to spending some nights just “browsing”. I’m also learning my way around the night sky, as I can easily locate half a dozen constellation and a few of the major features, such as the Andromeda galaxy and the Orion nebula. But there were still problems in my observing abilities, so it was time to buy yet another telescope!

I have a feeling that my experience ‘hits home’ for a number of contributors to this forum. Later this week I will explain how I came about purchasing another small scope before making my latest (last?) purchase.