Celestron vs. Meade SCT's... your opinions?

Started by amstel78, 05/05/2003 08:47PM
Posted 05/05/2003 08:47PM Opening Post
Hello everyone. I just wanted to know what your opinions were on the Celestron GPS SCT's, as compared to the Meade offerings. Do you prefer one brand over the other? How does the company's customer service rate, and what about overall product quality. My friend and I have been recently drooling over Celestron's 11" SCT GPS scope, and at almost $3,000 not including shipping would like to know what is better. Thanks!

Regards,
James
[SIZE="Small"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Toys: [COLOR="Red"]2006 Evolution MR, 2005 BMW M3, Meade LX200R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]
Posted 05/05/2003 09:02PM #1
James,
I asked the same question a few months ago. Never did I see anywhere that the Meade optics are better than Celestron. Got a lot of "just as good" answers but never anyone that said better, so I bought a used NS11 and love it. I already owned an 8" LX200 classic which I think has very good optics but the NS11 blows it away, of course aperature might have something to do with it. Celestron has the starbright coatings and the new Meades have the UHTC, for an extra charge. I think the jury is still out on the durability of UHTC. You'd probably be happy with either. I've seen both on AM at some pretty reasonable prices lately. Check out the review on cloudynights comparing an N11 and 12" LX200 classic.

brian

Posted 05/05/2003 09:18PM #2
I just had a reason to see my Celestron's base openened at my dealer's (not their fault, mine) and there also saw a corresponding Meade ... let's just say I am even more glad now that I have a NexStar GPS, not a LX200GPS. Before that, I was already extremely happy with the optical and mechanical performance. Plus, make sure you carry either scope a few feet before you buy it!

Also, go look in the respecive Yahoo groups what people are complaining about.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NexStarGPS/messages
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LX200GPS/messages
Posted 05/06/2003 12:40AM #3
Went through the same thing some months ago. Back and forth, like this better on Meade, like that thing better on Celestron. So it ended up kinda like religion, I went with the comfortable and familiar; the Meade LX200GPS UHTC mostly because I already had a Meade(ETX)and really liked the Autostar. Have NO regrets. Happy with the scope, with my dealer, happy with Meade customer service (only used for a couple of simple questions, no real problems). I would probably say the same thing about the Celestron if I had gone that way.

In short, my opinion is that they are different but equivalent overall. Slight edge on some things one way and edge to the other on other things. Figure out from all the opinions out there and the yahoo groups what the issues and strengths are for each and figure out which factors are most important to you and your plans for the scope. Make your decision and don't look back.

If you end up unhappy you can always sell on Astromart and try the other way.

Good luck
John

John Theodossy
http://geocities.com/myastrostuff/
Posted 05/06/2003 07:02AM #4
I've had several of both since 1980. And, I've finally learned my lesson. I will never buy another Meade product. It's been suggested that "for some reason" there are a lot of Meade bashers on this forum. Well, I wonder why... Poor electronics, cheap plastic, terrible focusers and nonexistant customer service. Don't tell me it's not true because I've delt with all the BS too many times, and will never put up with it again. I currently own two Celestron scopes and they have both been trouble free, as have all the Celestron's I have owned.
Celestron, and Celestron only!
That's my humble opinion...based on A LOT of personal experience. -Kurt Horsley
Posted 05/06/2003 06:24PM #5
This question seems to come up every other day. I agree with Dave Hurst. I too have owned both products (and still do) and am very happy with both. Brand loyalist will try to sway you one way or the other (many not actually having used the other's product), but the truth is that if you get a good scope from either company you will be very pleased. Look at what you want and what each offers. Then make a choice. Worse case senario is you sell it on Astromart for a little less than you paid and get something esle! Herb likes that and so will you!
Posted 05/07/2003 03:35PM #6
I don't own a SCT, so perhaps I'm not fit to comment on this topic, but the impression I get from all of the scope review and user web sites is that both Meade and Celestron produce optically excellent telescopes, but Meade's quality control is inferior...meaning buying a Meade is something of a crap shoot. Since I'm not a gambling man, I'd go with the Celestron. Their 9-1/4" instrument consistently gets raves everywhere you look, apparently due to it's unique optical design, and if I were in the market for a SCT, that's what I would buy.