CG-5 with Lunt/APM 100 ED Binos for AP?

Started by bigtasty25, 04/16/2021 11:11PM
Posted 04/16/2021 11:11PM Opening Post
About 10 years ago I got pretty into AP with my Celestron CGE and Meade 127mm triplet refactor and 80mm stellarve doublet, I live in bortle 4 skies but with a LIght pollution filter and patience I’ve been able to get 5-10 minute subs to stack using a canon DSLR rebel 1000.

since then life hit and I had a job where I had to get up early but these days I’m having more time at night and got a binocular scope, 100 ED lunt on a sturdy tripod and I’m quickly getting addicted again, I’m close to the florida Everglades, 15 min drive  where my SQM reader tells me I’m in bortle 6 skies and WOW the difference. Another 30 minutes out in the middle of the Everglades is bortle 7+ and Milky Way is beautiful overhead.

Anyways, I was thinking to use a simple CG-5 mount with the Lunt binoscope, using the 2nd ocular as a guider, and investing in a Nikon 5300 (24MP) for ultra wide views since the bino is only 550mm FL. It’s been many years since I’ve done some good AP work.  Can I use my tablet rather than laptop when connecting  the RS 232 cord? (I think that’s what it’s called) I’m sure tech has changed a bit over the last 10-15 years. Thoughts/ideas? Thanks so much!!
Mike
Posted 04/17/2021 12:48AM #1
Originally Posted by mike selz
About 10 years ago I got pretty into AP with my Celestron CGE and Meade 127mm triplet refactor and 80mm stellarve doublet, I live in bortle 4 skies but with a LIght pollution filter and patience I’ve been able to get 5-10 minute subs to stack using a canon DSLR rebel 1000.

since then life hit and I had a job where I had to get up early but these days I’m having more time at night and got a binocular scope, 100 ED lunt on a sturdy tripod and I’m quickly getting addicted again, I’m close to the florida Everglades, 15 min drive  where my SQM reader tells me I’m in bortle 6 skies and WOW the difference. Another 30 minutes out in the middle of the Everglades is bortle 7+ and Milky Way is beautiful overhead.

Anyways, I was thinking to use a simple CG-5 mount with the Lunt binoscope, using the 2nd ocular as a guider, and investing in a Nikon 5300 (24MP) for ultra wide views since the bino is only 550mm FL. It’s been many years since I’ve done some good AP work.  Can I use my tablet rather than laptop when connecting  the RS 232 cord? (I think that’s what it’s called) I’m sure tech has changed a bit over the last 10-15 years. Thoughts/ideas? Thanks so much!!
Mike
I don't mean to be critical but it seems you've reversed the bortle sky ratings. Here's the actual classifications: https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-resources/light-pollution-and-astronomy-the-bortle-dark-sky-scale/
I'm a visual observer so I can't answer your imaging questions. Perhaps someone else can...
Posted 04/17/2021 06:35AM #2
Originally Posted by Crap you’re right lol, normally imin class 6 skies and 15 minutes away I’m just barely in class 4, thanks for pointing that out 😉👌Rod Kaufman
I don't mean to be critical but it seems you've reversed the bortle sky ratings. Here's the actual classifications: https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-resources/light-pollution-and-astronomy-the-bortle-dark-sky-scale/
I'm a visual observer so I can't answer your imaging questions. Perhaps someone else can...