Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

DSC Update: Explore Scientific 12" Truss Dob

Started by Rod Kaufman, 07/12/2018 10:28AM
Posted 07/12/2018 10:28AM Opening Post
As noted in my previous post and review of the 12" ES Dob, I've been in contact with Astrosystems regarding their sky commander/DSC/hardware for this particular scope. I prefer the sky commander unit because I consider it to be "battle-tested", having used it extensively on my 16" Astrosystems truss dob. While I'm not knocking the WI-FI units out there, my experience with observers using them near me in dark sky sites kind of reminds me of imagers having various problems with their gear throughout the night. Now, if I were a participant on that other website and got off on posting about either real or imagined problems, I'd probably consider something other than the sky commander unit and associated DSCs but since I consider myself fairly well-grounded in reality, I'll stick with the latter. I did try emailing astro devices website without a reply in their stated 72 hour return-reply web form in order to get information on their particular kit, and I did send their PDF to Astrosystems for review, and here's where we stand now:
1. Astrosystems believes the altitude encoder installation, with their existing equipment, will be essentially the same as that in the obsession dobsonians. They believe they have the necessary hardware to clear any obstruction and allow for proper use of the encoder.
2. Astrosystems has a concern regarding the clearance of the azimuth encoder as it projects  about 0.8" from the top of the pivot bolt. I'll need to construct a mock-up over the weekend to see if it presents a clearance issue as the scope is moved about.  
3. Astrosystems stated cost for the computer, high resolution encoders and mounting hardware is $549.00. 
4. I asked  Astrosystems about a full refund if it doesn't work out and they'll give me 30 days.
5. So, before I order anything, I'll try working out the dimensions for the Azimuth encoder and make an informed decision.
Anybody got a better idea for DSCs for this scope?