Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Edmund and UO orthos

Started by robrjm, 10/04/2003 09:27PM
Posted 10/04/2003 09:27PM Opening Post
Any reason as to why the Edmund orthoscopics are ~$81 and the UO. orthos are only ~$55. Does Edmund use better glass and/or coatings or are they over-priced?

Rob
Posted 10/05/2003 01:23AM #1
That's an interesting question. I assume they are from the same Japanese factory, i.e. circle T branded. However, Edmund has offered these same ortho's for decades ($17 in the early '70's) and judging by past/present Edmund Technical Optics catalogs showing various astro eyepieces, barlows & focusers their stock/offerings of some previous items has become depleted over the years. If the Edmund orthos offered today are from past, much older stock I'd be inclined to pay the premium. I have a Parks supplied 12.5mm circle T ortho purchased decades ago and it's (my example) optical quality was condsidered exceptional by a former director of the ALPO. Whereas the design should be same, opticians pass on and perhaps the prior generation were more keen. If an inquiry to Edmund on the status of the original stock purchase indicated older production, I'd pay the premium with no qualms myself. Otherwise they should be identical. Ron