Saturn Dione Tethys 28 August 2021

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Fix this - Thanks Joe C.

Started by HowardP, 07/23/2004 07:56PM
Posted 07/23/2004 07:56PM Opening Post
I purchased a heavy-duty alt-azimuth mount for my 6” refractor from Joe at The Binoscope Company http://www.binoscope.com/ a few months back. He manufactures and assembles them for 4-6” refractors and of course for binoscopes and big binoculars. I wanted something that was easy to set up/take down, had smooth operation, would be steady with my 25 lbs scope, and have slowmo controls. His mounts do all this and are DSC compatable.

The mount sits on a Meade field tripod and that is where the problem occurred. As can be seen in the photo the cast iron leg hinge broke. I did not drop or band the leg it just broke.

I e-mailed a photo of the damage to Joe and he forwarded it to Meade in California. They were surprised by the damage and thought it might have been due to a fault during casting. They had not seen a defect like it before.

I had to disassemble the tripod head and send it to Joe in Long Island from Toronto. Meade sent a new tripod head from California and it was repaired and sent back to me.

Joe quickly and professionally dealt with the problem and my mount is now back and functioning.

My thanks to Joe Costoro at The Binoscope Company.

howard

Attached Image:

HowardP's attachment for post 17610
Posted 07/23/2004 08:00PM #1
Here is a picture of the mount in operation.

howard

Attached Image:

HowardP's attachment for post 81643