My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Follow the (little) GOTO

Started by williamichang, 03/04/2003 02:39AM
Posted 03/04/2003 02:39AM Opening Post
What do you think of this idea:

Bring along a little GOTO like the NexStar 80, and match the red-dot of your big scope to that of the little guy. Even better, put a laser beam on the N80 and everybody can point their scopes at the spot. Any problems you forsee?

This would save some big bucks retrofitting a large mount.

-- William Chang, Saratoga CA
Posted 03/04/2003 05:29AM #1
William,

I hate the idea of the green laser. I go to a lot of trouble to find a dark sky, and have somebody who thinks his observing program is more important flashing a big green light into the night?????

(However, I like the idea of using a cheap goto as a sky atlas.)

Alex
Posted 03/04/2003 08:57AM #2
Is the idea that the laser puts a spot on the sky? Just how thick is your atmosphere?

Charlie

Fort Lewis Observatory: (37.238, -108.052) ~2360m (7744 ft.) elevation.
Darkness - typically 6.5+
Scope - Meade 16" LX200; f6.3 focal reducer
Focus - JMI Smart focus
Camera - SBIG ST-10XE; (~.5"/pixel)
Guiding - AO-8 and/or Meade 5"/DSI/PHD
http://www.fortlewis.edu/observatory
Posted 03/04/2003 11:52PM #3
I got the LXD55 mount for my MN56 just for this purpose. I was going to use it as a 'finder' for my CI700 mounted 10" SCT. Once it located an object, I would look in its red dot finder and then point the telrad on my 10" scopte to the same spot. I can then matched the star fields in SCT's ST80 finder to the MN56's FOV. That should get you very close. Plus, I will have a wide field of it in the MN56 and higher mag view of it with the 10" SCT. However, the Autostar died so I haven't tried out the idea yet. I have a replacement Autostar coming so I will try this out soon.

Right now, I just star hop with SCT and that's fine. There are nights when this combo would be very useful.

Nat Chotinun, Santa Fe, New Mexico