Konus 8" Newtonian

Started by jjacobso, 12/20/2002 08:05AM
Posted 12/20/2002 08:05AM Opening Post
It has been a bad year to be a freelancer for me....I am unfortunately having to sell my beloved 8" LX200 for financial reasons.

I do still have my first scope, a 90mm refractor. Unfortunately, I have been spoiled by 8 inches of aperture, and do not think that I will ever be happy with 3.5 inches again.

I may be able to get a scope within the $600 range. I would like an 8" scope. Goto is not a priority, but I do need a scope that will track (i.e. NOT a dobsonian mount). As I live in Los Angeles, I do need a scope that will do well for planetary work - and basic webcam planetary imaging.

It appears as though the best candidate is the Konus 200mm reflector. It is basically the same Synta scope that Orion sells, with a few nicer upgrades such as a 50mm finder, and included motor drives. The scope in question can be found in detail at the digitec optical website.

Is there anyone out there who has actually used this scope and can recommend (or not) this scope? Are there any other options in this price range? Am I going to be dissapointed after owning my wonderful LX200 (which has provided me with outstanding views of just about everything)?

-Jake