Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Parks 80mm Refractor

Started by SAM, 10/28/2007 03:38AM
Posted 10/28/2007 03:38AM Opening Post
I saw a Parks 80mm f/11 Refractor in a thrift store here in Southern California for $200 - is it worth it? The telescope and GEM tripod are in great condition. I don't see any reviews of these on any of the normal websites, and I just don't know the quality of these. The cost of the telescope new is $899 on the Parks Optical website (down from $1500 MSRP). Thanks for any input you have.
Posted 10/28/2007 03:47PM #1
Hi:

The Parks stuff is essentially like the rest of the 1980s' Japanese optics, quite good but the mechanical quality can vary significantly, ie he mounts and focusers.

One can see the false color in these around bright targets, it is not particularly distracting but on a target like Rigel with it's 6.5 difference between the companion and the primary, it does get in the way. The difference in the high powered views is definitely a step down from scopes like the ED-80. At low powers, the slower focal length allows for nice views with longer focal length Plossls, particularly a 32mm at about 28x and even the 40mm.

I like 80mm F/11 refractors and have way too many of em. I have three different 1980's Japanese Meades, the 310, 312 and the 314 with the brass OTA. Then there is similar vintage Celestron/Vixen, a Nexstar 80GLT and a new Vixen 80MF on the Portamount.

I find these locally and at prices I just can't resist. The Parks is most likely a nice scope but $200 is more than I would want to pay. $50 is more my style. These are fun scopes, a nice diversion for the backyard, they are simple to use and competent so they do make a nice gift but their size and lack of a 2 inch focuser relegate them to casual use in the presence of an ED-80 or the like.

Jon

Attached Image:

jonisaacs's attachment for post 118014
Posted 01/09/2008 05:30AM #2
Sam,

I have one of these Parks PRT-813 scopes and they really are quite good. Last night, in crummy Delaware skies, I split Castor using a 15mm RKE for a power of just 60x! I've really neglected this particular instrument because I always seem to pick one of the Vixens when I go out. They have old fashioned looked, weird focusrs and focuser flanges. I, however, am a purist and don't ever believe in this upgrading stuff. Leave the scope alone, as designed. It all works if you let it work. Parks scope also has the INDESPENSABLE collimation cell. Parks refractors are made in Japan and are better than most other achromats. Unfortunately, each time I have used this scope, I ask myself why didn't Parks also have a 4 inch, oh, say, f/12-f/13 model made with the same impeccable optics. I paid $300.oo for mine used.

bruce
Posted 01/13/2008 07:13PM #3
SAM TOREN said:

I saw a Parks 80mm f/11 Refractor in a thrift store here in Southern California for $200 - is it worth it? The telescope and GEM tripod are in great condition. I don't see any reviews of these on any of the normal websites, and I just don't know the quality of these. The cost of the telescope new is $899 on the Parks Optical website (down from $1500 MSRP). Thanks for any input you have.

Could you tell me what thrift store so I could go shopping? wink For my 2 cents, the scope is a fine long focus achromat. Made in Japan, and Parks had better quality control than...well, they had quality control! Plus you got a mount. A useable, workable mount. I think for $200 you got a good deal. That set up may at times sell for $50 more or less.
The legs could be stiffened up by a brace.

SL

The only thing wrong with censorship is [deleted].