My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

TV85 on a GM-8

Started by duane, 06/12/2009 05:16PM
Posted 06/12/2009 05:16PM Opening Post
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what hardware I can use to mount a TV85 on a GM-8? I was told that the DUP plate will work, but after receiving this plate, I don't see how it could work.

Thanks,

Duane
Posted 06/15/2009 05:33PM #1
Does it not work because you cannot attach the 85 to the plate, or because you cannot attach the plate to the mount?

Alex.
Posted 06/15/2009 11:36PM #2
I don't know for certain that the DUPS will work on the TV85, but Tom confirms that it's okay on the TV76. Seems like a reasonable bet for me.

Thanks Alex and Tom!

Duane
Posted 06/16/2009 12:27AM | Edited 06/16/2009 12:31AM #3
Duane,

Before you go any further, does the Losmandy dovetail plate you now have actually fit into the clamp at the top of your GM8 head?

Losmandy has used two different size dovetail plate clamps (saddle clamps) on the GM8. The early versions use one specifically made for the GM8 which is 2.5" wide. The later GM8's came with a D-series saddle clamp which is wider. You need the right plate for the right saddle clamp.

If you have the wider plate and it will not fit into the saddle clamp on your GM8, then you need the "GM 8 UV" plate.

Also, one problem I've encountered with the Losmandy plates is that they come already drilled with many holes for mounting different types of scopes. This presents two problems when mounting a TeleVue ring;

1. You can mount it in only one place on the plate.

2. You can only put screws into two of the three holes in the bottom of the TeleVue ring.

For these reasons, I ended up making my own dovetail plates and drilling the holes where I wanted them. It was also cheaper.

Attached Image:

mrvolvo's attachment for post 130862