Wifes & equipment budget

Started by DavidU, 05/12/2003 10:50AM
Posted 05/12/2003 10:50AM Opening Post
How do you guy's go explaining the new equipment ?
Mine gets a little tardy at times.
Posted 05/12/2003 12:12PM #1
I have everything shipped to my office. Otherwise it becomes dueling banjos - I get an eyepiece, she goes and gets a dress...
Posted 05/12/2003 02:07PM #2
It's a simple matter of give and take. All I had to do to get my first scope (Stargazer Steve 6" F8) was buy her an 18k minivan. I just got an Orion Starblast, all I had to do was sell my motorcycle.

Ed
Posted 05/12/2003 03:38PM #3
Reason #1472 why I'm still single...
Posted 05/12/2003 03:46PM #4
We have a good system at my house. I buy whatever I want, she buys whatever she wants, and then we fight! Actually she knows that no matter how much I spend on my hobby, it is still cheaper than a new bass boat, and I am at home.
Ralph
Posted 05/12/2003 07:14PM #5
It's called a slush fund! smile On top of that I act like whatever I am messing with is something I have had a long time. It also helps to accumulate as much astronomy stuff as you can. Me, I have so many EP's, Cases, books, software, filtes, telescopes and other junk now, that she has finally lost the ability to track if it is new or not. The only time she gets suspicious is large items that she can clearly recoginize as different like a new telescope.

Paul Atkinson
AstroPro Products
Posted 05/13/2003 01:45AM #6
My wife also has a consuming passion (besides our relationship): Gardening. We respect each other's hobby and take part in both. I do the heavy digging/hauling for her, and she understands my needs/wants for the telescope. for every EP or upgrade I acquire, she gets several cubic yards of the best soil, shrubs, nursery beds etc. She's attended club meetings and lectures with me, I've spent many weekend days visiting several greenhouses. She now can point out most constellations; I can name a good portion of plants in the garden. Our bookshelves are divided evenly between gardening and astronomy books. It's all about mutual respect and sharing. You can be down to earth and have your head above the clouds.

Cheers,

- Craig

Craig Levine
Secretary
RASC, Halifax Centre
www.halifax.rasc.ca

Posted 05/13/2003 05:13PM #7
Well, I deflected the wrath of She Who Must Be Obeyed with a trip to Venice after I bought myself a Stellarvue AT1010 OTA; I'm now considering buying myself a GP-DX, and I think maybe two weeks on the Isle of Skye will provide a suitable diversion.

(the crucial thing to remember is NOT to take the scope on such a trip, so that the Goddess has time to forget the reason for the bribe; otherwise, the sacrifice is wasted).