Kite

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Filters don't fit Tak LE Eyepieces

Started by reconair, 11/24/2006 09:30AM
Posted 11/24/2006 09:30AM Opening Post
I didn't get a response from the Takahashi Forum, so I'm trying here.

What's up with filters and Tak eyepieces? I have some newly acquired Tak LE eyepieces and my standard 1.25 filters won't fit. I can get them on about a quarter turn and that's it. Are the eyepieces a different thread than the common 1.25 filters. Sure seems so. I had the same issue with trying to get a 2" filter on a Tak 2" diagonal. To look at the eyepieces, there appears to be threads, but they are painted and not shiny like other non-Tak eyepieces. Is the paint preventing screwing on the filters? I don't want to force on a filter if I can help it. I'm sure it will bugger up the filter threads.

Any clue?
Scott

Scott Busby
A.K.A. Reconair

Carpe Noctum

Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.
- Ptolemy,c.150 AD
Posted 11/24/2006 11:09AM #1
Hi Luis,
There does seem to be some inconsistency with filter threads. I have seen many filters that would fit one EP and not another. I still am not certain why, but if the filters fit all the other EPs, then it is the Tak threads that are the problem.
I did buy some Meade filters that had this problem and I bought some adapter rings from Russell optics for $3 each that made them fit my TV and other EPs. They were small thin rings that were 49mm to 48mm in this case. So I had to figure the Meade filters were 49mm threads or they just were machine poorly.
However, it is possible that the Tak uses a different thread pitch or size than the normal 1.25" filter.

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager