Prominence

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Help reassembling eyepiece

Started by hughbartlett, 01/27/2006 06:16PM
Posted 01/27/2006 06:16PM Opening Post
I got a used Meade 36mm QX eyepiece yesterday, and precipitated a disaster upon myself. I am hoping someone with experience can help me get my eyepiece back together.

When I held it up to the light and looked through the eye lens, I noticed a couple reflections that looked like chips in the glass. Looking inside the barrel, I saw what appeared to be a 5mm long scratch. I decided to take a closer look by unscrewing the barrel (BIG MISTAKE!)...

I tried to keep it horizontal in the upside down position, but I got it off level enough that the first two thick lenses from the bottom slipped sideways, and are jammed in the barrel in that position. I tried gently shaking them back into position, but that only made things worse. Now I see all sorts of black flakes all over the inside surfaces of the lenses.

The only hope for this eyepiece is to disassemble the lenses, clean them, and put it back together. The first lens comes out okay, but the second one in is still jammed in the barrel. I tried heating the barrel to get it to expand a little with a hair dryer and a coffee plate warmer. Although it got the barrel noticeably warm to the touch, nothing is moving.

I feel sick, like I just flushed the money down the toilet. Anybody have any suggestions?

"Praise the Lord for the expanding grandeur of creation, worlds known and unknown, galaxies beyond galaxies, filling us with awe and challenging our imaginations." 2007 Reform Siddur
Posted 01/27/2006 06:59PM #1
Hugh,
This is a dilemma for sure. The jig locked lenses are difficult to dislodge with out damaging them. The only thing I can think of is to heat the EP housing with a hair drier so the metal expands more than the glass. This might make the lenses come out. Be sure to keep track of the direction they are assembled, which surface to which surface.
If you get them out, then putting them back in is another issue. Sometime you can stack the lenses and slip the housing over them. sometimes you have to insert them one at a time.
If you take them all out, be sure to clean the inside to free up any flaking paint and then maybe spray it with a little flat black. Be sure to let the paint cure until it loses the smell so that it does not put any thing on the lenses.
Hope you have some luck, maybe some one here does this work more often than myself.
Mike certainly seem to know about such things. grin

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager