Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

High power EP for Mars

Started by Jason Paoletti, 04/13/2003 04:22PM
Posted 04/13/2003 04:22PM Opening Post
I am looking for a higher power for use in my 8" f/6 Discovery dob. My current highest power is 222x with my 11mm TV plossl and 2x barlow. This provides excellent views. I am thinking about 8mm TV plossl for 304x (with barlow) which may be pushing it a bit or 9mm UO ortho which would give 271x (w/barlow). Both ep's would give about the same FOV. Eye relief would probably be better in the ortho, but 8mm is parfocal with my TV plossls. Budget wise this price range is about all I can do. Any comments on these two ep's would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jason
Posted 04/13/2003 05:29PM #1
Jason,
Both televue plossls and university orthos are reviewed in an article on planetary eyepieces appearing in www.cloudynights.com. My experience with the 8mm televue is that it's a good eyepiece but eye relief is very tight. The university optics orthos have performed superbly on planets in my 16" f4.5 dob. I don't think you could go wrong with either televue or university but I would prefer the ortho design on the planets. I note that university now has an improved coating available on a somewhat higher priced version of their ortho design.You may want to try it and give us a report on your results.