Image of the day

Captured by
Terry Wood

Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Orion Stratus eyepiece review! What's the catch?

Started by stedman, 06/11/2005 01:02PM
Posted 06/11/2005 01:02PM Opening Post
A short but sweet non-technical review of the Stratus line has appeared here. Apparently, they produce crisp views even at f/5.

The only drawback mentioned was that the 2" barrel portion is short, so be careful with it. Otherwise, the review glowed with praise.

So... what's the catch?

I don't know, but I'd like to see a follow up with an f/4.5 of f/5 dob... and some comparisons with Radians and orthos on planets or Pentaxes and Panoptics on DSOs...

If they are as good as stated, then Televue will finally have some real competition. And their prices may have to be reduced!
Posted 06/11/2005 05:35PM #1
I too would love to hear more about this line of EPs.

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager
Posted 06/11/2005 09:11PM #2
There is a review of the 5mm on the CLoudy Nights Eyepieces forum. In short, it performed quite well in an f4.5 dob out to about 85% of the FOV, but became somewhat soft near the edge. Strangely, this happened at all f-ratios tested (even slow scopes), so seems to be something different than the usual astigmatism in fast scopes. Performance was deemed somewhat short of Panoptic/nagler level, but very good for the price, and a significant step up from most of the cheaper widefields available in the fast scope.

Jarad