Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Univ. Optics eyepieces by Gailand?

Started by wrose, 12/17/2006 10:45PM
Posted 12/17/2006 10:45PM Opening Post
I thought I'd stir up some discuss about University Optics eyepieces manufactured by Gailand.
In the attached a photo are 5 different 'versions' of UO eyepieces built prior to '89. They represent “vintages” of UO EPs.
All of these versions have been represented to me, by well meaning people, as 'UO eyepieces made by Gailand."
So which do you think were manufactured by Gailand and why?
Legend/Notes:
-EPs in Column "A" embossed U-#### are the same vintage/version.
-EPs in Column "B" embossed König are the same vintage/version.
-The 16.0mm König at the top of column "B" is not the same vintage as the eyepiece labeled "E".
>Look closely & note the 16.0mm König at the top of column "B" has a slight 'flat' area around the eyelens (more clearly seen in the 8 & 12mm König EPs). The taper on the eyepiece labeled "E" goes up to a rolled edge.
>You can't see that the EP at the top of Column "B" has Nickel Plated Filter Thread & Anti-Reflective Coating Reflections of Purplish on the eyelens & Deep Green as a 2nd, internal reflection. The EP labeled "E" has Blackened Filter Threads & AR Coating Reflections of Blue on the eyelens & Yellowish-Green as a 2nd, internal reflection.
-The eyepiece labeled “D” has a black ring at the bottom. It's the edge of the field stop. EP has no filter threads. (maybe a clue?).
So what do you think? Clear Skies, Bill

Attached Image:

wrose's attachment for post 34930
Posted 12/17/2006 11:05PM | Edited 12/18/2006 12:01AM #1
For those of you who may be confused, I guess I should explain the 'Gailand' (the Company) versus "Galoc" the eyepiece & eyepiece design. (I apologize to those of you who already know the distinction.)
Gailand Company manufactured several eyepieces marketed under the their brand with the GC/Saturn emblem. They manufactured several Orthoscopic eyepieces and a wide field eyepiece stamped "Galoc" which represents the design type of a particular wide field eyepiece. There is some question as to the actual design type of the later Gailand Company "Galoc" eyepieces especially since originally, Gailand Company did manufacture a 16.8mm Erfle eyepiece as well as the 16.3mm "Galoc" eyepiece. Later versions of the 16.3mm "Galoc" appear to actually be an Erfle Design even though they are embossed "Galoc". To my knowledge, by that time Gailand Company had stopped making a 16.8mm Erfle.
Now back to the original post, which of the University Optics eyepieces were manufactured by Gailand Company?
Clear Skies, Bill

Attached Image:

wrose's attachment for post 110074
Posted 12/18/2006 01:35AM #2
Are we certain Gailand was the manufacturer, or perhaps just an importer?
Perhaps UO and Gailand purchased from same factory in Japan?

Here are a couple 10mm orthos, which might be illustrative.
#1, #4, #5 (left ones) are UO, the others are Gailand. Metal work designs
are all over the map. Some have similar tops but the sides and bottoms
are different. From the bottom views, I would guess that Galoc #2 and
UO #5 are from the same factory.

Most Gailands are similar to #2 and #6 with heavy machined brass barrels,
but #3 illustrates an exception.

Attached Image:

m87's attachment for post 110079