Moon Snapshot with Starmaster 11 "Shorty"

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

UO 32mm 1.25" Konig

Started by wpaolini, 12/06/2006 12:31PM
Posted 12/06/2006 12:31PM Opening Post
Does anyone know when these (UO 32mm 1.25" Konig) were discontinued?

FYI - I just picked one up used and it is an unbelievable performer. In f/4.7 scope only outer 25% or less was soft on star fields. In f/11 scope was sharp until last 5% or less! AFOV apprears wide, much wider than a Plossl. Anyway, a great EP.
Posted 12/06/2006 01:52PM #1
William Paolini said:
Does anyone know when these (UO 32mm 1.25" Konig) were discontinued?
FYI - I just picked one up used and it is an unbelievable performer. In f/4.7 scope only outer 25% or less was soft on star fields. In f/11 scope was sharp until last 5% or less! AFOV appears wide, much wider than a Plossl. Anyway, a great EP.

Hi Bill,
I'm not sure when they were discontinued but I bought a pair to use in telebinoculars about 4 or 5 years ago. I remember calling Ann Arbor to order them because they talked me into trying a couple of their 'New' lenses (which turned out to be a pretty good deal also).
I agree the UO 32mm, 1.25" Konigs are actually a good performer and a steal for the price. I still have and use the pair I bought.
I Think the AFOV is close to 65° but I'd have to check for certain. They do seem to favor 'slower' scopes as with most Konigs but I have tried them in a binoviewer with f/4.5 & f/5 scopes. As you indicated the edge gets "soft" (good description, thanks!). In the BT telebinos the edge performance is good with only a very small amount of aberrations around the very edge. Actually the BT-80s seem to be affected more than the BT-100 or BT-125.
I'll ask around and see if anyone knows when they were actually discontinued but I'm sure it hasn't been more than 3 years ago.
Clear Skies, Bill
Posted 12/06/2006 09:59PM #2
Hey Bill,
I did a bit of checking.
It's my understanding Univ. Optics stopped making these around 2 years ago and has been out of stock for about a year. If you want I'll verify that next time I call Ann Arbor.
FWIW
In my eyepiece notes I found where I noted seeing a UO 32mm, 1.25" that did not have the green "M.C." marking under the name at a star party. I assume it's an older version. (See Picture)

Clear Skies, Bill

Attached Image:

wrose's attachment for post 109763