Image of the day

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

AP900 question

Started by fblue, 02/14/2012 08:57PM
Posted 02/14/2012 08:57PM Opening Post
Ok, I got an AP900, now I need a Dovetail Saddle.

I am looking a the AstroPhysics 16.5" APDOVELM162 and the Robin Casady 12" or 14". I would like to hear about your experiences with these.

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager
Posted 02/14/2012 11:47PM #1
Hi Floyd,

Floyd Blue said:

Ok, I got an AP900, now I need a Dovetail Saddle.

I am looking a the AstroPhysics 16.5" APDOVELM162 and the Robin Casady 12" or 14". I would like to hear about your experiences with these.

Congrats once more.., I saw your posts on CN as well as AP-GTO user group..,

What scopes are you planning to install onto your mount?

I use the Robin Casady 12" on my AP900-GTO-CP3 - quite simply, its fantastic!

The primary scope I have is the C14, so the 12" is the perfect length that allows for lots of adjustment, as and when needed, whilst always having the full length of the saddle along the C14's dovetail plate. The C14 if very tail heavy in itself, but when I'm on the road, with the AZ dew shield, or when piggy-backing a front-heavy APO, the balance point moves forward a bit - so the adjustment range is excellent.

I've used Casady saddles from since before I got the AP, simply because they make installing the C14 so much easier with the tip-in saddles. Together with the "warm, fuzzy" feeling of assuredness you get when you have to slide your OTA along the saddle when balancing is a huge bonus.

I got the DOVE08 when I got my AP, but never installed it, to be honest - I'm so confident of the Casady saddles, plus the 8" saddle is a bit too short for my liking when you're talking about a C14 shocked

Hope that helps..,

Regards,

S Roberts