Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Bill Schaefer Mount & OLD Skysensor Computer

Started by Nick Oshana, 12/30/2006 01:21PM
Posted 12/30/2006 01:21PM Opening Post
1. I have one of these Schaefer mounts w/ a "computer" interface. I'd like a manual/software(?) to use this.

2. I also have the first version of a SKYSENSOR Control and like to know which motors to get to make operational and how to wire the DIN connectors. Thanks. smile
Posted 01/09/2007 07:39AM #1
Hi - Congratulations on owning a Schaefer mount! I own a couple of his mounts myself. Which model mount do you have? I knew Bill Schaefer personally back in the 70's and 80's when he was building mounts. Bill used independent guys to build electronic drive correctors. I'm not sure if he ever had the same manufaturer twice! Do you have a 6-pin or a 4-pin connector? I'm not sure if I can help you, but I'll try. - Chuck

Posted 01/09/2007 07:22PM #2
I just picked up a Super Polaris with a complete original Sky Sensor system. The issue with them appears to be that they drove a specific PULSE motor, not a servo or fine step stepper motor. What this means is that at low mag, it tracks great and you don't notice the pulse (they occur around 1-2/sec.) but at higher magnification, the pulse is noticeable. Not good for high magnification work, as the pulse is quite noticeable. Manual even makes comments about the beat that you feel with the pulse motor (in normal tracking mode) and that it is not good for high magnification work. The system is designed to do 1 1/10 rpm on the SP shaft, turning the 144 tooth worm gear. The pulse rate is not adjustable. Slew goes at 2x or 60x.
If you want to learn more about outfitting mounts with computer control, go to the Yahoo group roboscopes. They have a lot of info there on making your own goto scopes with different interfaces. Autostar is the most popular and least expensive, but there are some other very nice controllers out there that can be configured for a lot of different motors.
If you don't have the manual for the Sky Sensor, you can find copies on line.
Brian Risley
Celestron/Schmidt Cass Moderator