My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

C8 Fork Conversion to GEM

Started by klawson, 02/18/2012 02:25PM
Posted 02/18/2012 02:25PM Opening Post
Hi All,

I thought I would post this for anyone who has an old C8 fork mount lying around that thinks it has seen its last days of usefulness. In the fork configuration the mount is good for only a C8 OTA, but converted to a GEM it can be useful for just about any OTA that has a dovetail. Anyone with a small to medium refractor (120mm F8.3 refractor shown) or Cassegrain OTA can make a nice solid mount for minimum cost utilizing most of the existing mount components (tripod, wedge, base, etc). You can usually get an old C8 mount cheap on Amart or CN.

The parts for the conversion are easy to make. I left the aluminum unpainted so that the mod components are clearly seen. I believe high grade plywood can replace the aluminum components if necessary. I would recommend 3/4" thick as a minimum. I can go into more detail if anyone is interested. Please note: Meade mounts are not recommended for this modification. Meade made the attachment area for their forks tapered. Not worth the trouble to try to match the taper.

I have higher resolution shots for anyone interested in such a project for themselves. Shoot me a PM (k.lawson58@att.net)and I will gladly send them to you. CAD files are available as well if you have a CAD program that will read in DXF format.

***If anyone out there has a couple of C-14 fork mounts that are collecting dust, drop me a line. I would be willing to convert your two mounts to GEM. The cost? I get to keep one. Any takers?

Keith

Attached Image:

klawson's attachment for post 55028

Scopejunkie

40 year old restored C14 with recirculating cooling

w/Skywatcher DOB GOTO Conversion (CPC14)
Posted 02/18/2012 02:35PM #1
Posted 03/30/2012 07:10PM | Edited 03/30/2012 07:12PM #2
Pushed to it's limit. A quick rig up of a recently acquired C11 OTA. Tube a bit beat up but the optics cleaned up real well. After a few nights of testing the optics were found to be very well corrected. I'm a refractor guy but for some strange reason I have a soft spot (not in my head) for SCT's. The setup is a little shaky but very usable.

Keith

Attached Image:

klawson's attachment for post 143845

Scopejunkie

40 year old restored C14 with recirculating cooling

w/Skywatcher DOB GOTO Conversion (CPC14)
Posted 04/15/2012 08:14PM #3
Very nice indeed! Makes me embarrassed to show my attempt from a while back. My orange tube C8 has abandoned its sand-cast forks and now lives on a CG5.

http://www.pbase.com/emagowan/image/118655279

I mounted a camera to the mount via a bolt through one of the cheek pieces and pointed the axis of the mount to the zenith to make this time lapse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwTmUtMGxeo&feature=BFa&list=UU6q9CrTMWQJDnFxZdzqxmNw&lf=plcp