Image of the day

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

CG5-GT grease?

Started by tomdisco, 10/02/2011 08:11AM
Posted 10/02/2011 08:11AM Opening Post
I'm well aware of the glue-like grease the Chinese used to install in the standard CG5 mounts. When Celestron began producing the CG5 Go-To version did this problem go away or is the newer GT version still coming with that horrible excuse for grease? I have an older version standard CG5 for my refractor but the original owner replaced the old grease with lithium grease. If I purchased a new CG5 GT what should I expect to see for lubriction? Am I going to have to do the Astronomyboy.com lubrication upgrade on a brand new mount? If so, I might as well look for a used one instead of going new.
Posted 10/02/2011 12:52PM #1
James DellaPenna said:

I'm well aware of the glue-like grease the Chinese used to install in the standard CG5 mounts. When Celestron began producing the CG5 Go-To version did this problem go away or is the newer GT version still coming with that horrible excuse for grease? I have an older version standard CG5 for my refractor but the original owner replaced the old grease with lithium grease. If I purchased a new CG5 GT what should I expect to see for lubriction? Am I going to have to do the Astronomyboy.com lubrication upgrade on a brand new mount? If so, I might as well look for a used one instead of going new.

There is no need to replace the grease on the CG5/ASGT.

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/