Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Wanning Crescent and Venus

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

CGEM Upgrade from CG-5GT - transferable parts ??

Started by seigell, 02/02/2012 08:28AM
Posted 02/02/2012 08:28AM Opening Post
I'm currently astride the fence between purchasing an Atlas EQ-G or a CGEM.
I already have a well-functional CG-5GT (and parts for a 2nd) that I'm generally happy with - except it is overwhelmed by my acquisition of a C9.25 (and the C10N which included the aforementioned parts of 2nd CG-5).
I've scoured the threads comparing and dissing either the Atlas or CGEM, and have noted that Atlas EQ-G has an edge in "fan support". But counterbalancing that is my familiarity with the Celestron NexStar Hand Controller, and my investment in Celestron Mount Accessories which I hope can be leveraged on a CGEM. I know the NexStar HC is interchangeable, as is my SkySync GPS.
To that point, here are questions that I'm hoping CGEM owners can answer:
Counterweights - do CGEM and CG-5 have same diameter counterweight shafts ?? Celestron offers different designs for the 11-lb CW for each mount, but...
Tripods - both CGEM and CG-5 come on 2in steel-legged tripods. They are the same / interchangeable, right ??
Polar Scopes - do these mounts share the same Polar Scope ?? I'm familiar with the NexStar HC's AllStar Polar Align routine, but asking about the physical PA Scope.

If all three are "YES", then I'm saved about $200 in accessory purchases - and that much closer to pushing the "BUY" button...

ES 80ED Apo / C9.25-SCT / C6-SGT / C10-NGT / AT6RC / ST-80 / AstroView 90
60D / 400D / NexImage / NexGuide
Dark Skies in SW CO when I can get there, and badly light polluted backyard when I can't...
Posted 02/02/2012 11:52PM #1
Shane,

Just a question. Why is the CG5-GT overwhelmed with the C9.25? The weight of that SCT is well within the range of that mount. I'll grant you the C10N is too much.

If I recall correctly, the CG5 and CGEM mounts do not have the same counterweight shaft sizes.
Posted 02/11/2012 11:55PM #2
Well, I'm now the owner of a "well-endowed" CGEM, and can answer some of my own questions posed above...
1) The older (as well as the newer) CN-16 GPS will work with the CGEM (plugs directly into the Aux port), although you have to remember to set "Turn GPS On" in the HC menu.
2) The Counterweights are interchangeable, even though the CGEM design is "fancier" with handgrip scallops and flattened "base" (the CG-5 CWs are more directly shaped like the Orion Atlas CWs).
3) The Polar Alignment Scope is interchangeable (although the CGEM has a much better screw-on PA Cap than that so easily popped off the CG-5).
4) The tripod leg assemblies are exactly the same, but while the circular extent of the mount onto the tripod head is the same the bolt that tightens it is a different diameter. (Why can't they keep to a single size ?? It would make for broader interchangeability.)

ES 80ED Apo / C9.25-SCT / C6-SGT / C10-NGT / AT6RC / ST-80 / AstroView 90
60D / 400D / NexImage / NexGuide
Dark Skies in SW CO when I can get there, and badly light polluted backyard when I can't...