Image of the day

Captured by
Pete Eliason

Prominence

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

G11 case suggestions. Is this case good?

Started by moutinho, 08/05/2006 08:45PM
Posted 08/05/2006 08:45PM Opening Post
Any comments regarding the case found in the picture?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Andre

Attached Image:

moutinho's attachment for post 32793
Posted 08/05/2006 08:47PM #1
Another picture of this same case.

Attached Image:

moutinho's attachment for post 105989
Posted 08/14/2006 05:35PM #2
Looks great, but cant tell anything about the manufacturer or case specs. Personally, I always threw my G11 on the car seat, so i can tell your case is better than what I used.

If that case is built like a Pelican case, I am sure its excellent.
Posted 08/14/2006 06:54PM #3
I think the answer would depend a lot on what you plan to do with it. For transporting from home to observing site, it looks pretty good. It is probably better than most of us use (the seat of a car has been mentioned). It would keep the thing clean, and give you an easy to hold handle. I would not want to ship with that arrangement, though.

Of course, we have to remember that the G-11 is a beautiful piece of work, and is probably tougher than any case you will find for it. It can pretty much hold its own. It may get a knick or scratch, but would still run fine no matter how you shipped it.

I would suspect that considering the weight of the head, and the elasticity of the foam that usually comes with these things, I doubt that the foam you have is doing much. In short, when you pick up the case with the head inside, the head simply crushes the foam and is sitting against the side of the case. Same for any potential impacts. The head would just continue moving inside the box, and not be slowed by the foam.

Also, I would cut the foam up in such a way that it would also hold your electronic box, hand controller, cords, and such. You notice there is a gap where that stuff would fit. It would be nice to have it all together.

I would look for something a bit larger, and then put some very dense foam around the very edges (maybe that insulating styrofoam you can buy sheets of down at Home Depot), then a relatively thin layer of the foam you have just inside of the styrofoam and against the head itself.

Is it deep enough to handle the motors when they stick out like that?

Lastly, My experience with cases like that (and I may be wrong--hard to tell from the picture) is that they are a bit flexible. This will show up in the handle area--which would actually be bowed by the weight of the G-11. Also, the relatively thin plastic does not help much against side impacts.

But, for just going back and forth to the observing site--I would go for it. It is better than nothing.

Alex