Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

LXD75 or CG-5 ?

Started by Yarlanzey, 09/30/2010 05:42AM
Posted 09/30/2010 05:42AM Opening Post
I use several scopes, depending on the object sought: a 120mm f/8 refractor for binaries and planets,or an 8" f/4.5 newt for dim fuzzies, or a 6" f/12 Mak-Cass for public skywatches. Each will adapt to my decade old EQ-3 gem mount. I use rings appropriate for each scope to secure it.
I'm ready to move up to a goto mount that is a bit beefier and taller (esp for the refractor). With my limited budget in mind, two mounts really interest me: The Meade LSD75 and the Celestron CG5. Any advice/opinion as to merits/demerits of these mounts?
Posted 09/30/2010 11:52AM #1
John Barnett said:

I use several scopes, depending on the object sought: a 120mm f/8 refractor for binaries and planets,or an 8" f/4.5 newt for dim fuzzies, or a 6" f/12 Mak-Cass for public skywatches. Each will adapt to my decade old EQ-3 gem mount. I use rings appropriate for each scope to secure it.
I'm ready to move up to a goto mount that is a bit beefier and taller (esp for the refractor). With my limited budget in mind, two mounts really interest me: The Meade LSD75 and the Celestron CG5. Any advice/opinion as to merits/demerits of these mounts?

IMHO, the CG5...more reliable, more user friendly.

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/
Posted 09/30/2010 09:44PM #2
Hi John,
I have never used the Meade LSD75 but I have both CG-5 single axis drive and CG-5 goto. Both works fine with my Intes MK66 and 8" f/6 Newton. The goto is very accurate with both scopes. Iam talking visual observing, for imagening the 8" f/6 might be on the limit.
Good Luck!

/Magnus