Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Orion Atlas EQ-G: Hand controller bracket falls off

Started by jonmarinello, 01/14/2011 11:32PM
Posted 01/14/2011 11:32PM | Edited 01/14/2011 11:32PM Opening Post
I don't know if any of you out there have been frustrated by getting the hand controller bracket to stay attached to the tripod center support tray but I sure have been. The instructions just say to slide the bracket in until it clicks into place. That works but it refuses to stay clicked in (the little bump that pops over the tray just isn't big enough). Each time I pull the hand controller out to use it the darn bracket comes off and falls to the ground. I called Orion's technical support and the guy said something like "Yeah, mine does that too. I just put some velcro on and it works great." I thought hey that's a great idea. But after looking it over there just isn't enough space where it slides on to put the velcro. Another problem would be sliding it on with velcro. That would be tricky.

I asked was there a fix from Orion for this and he said there was not.

So here is what I did. Gorilla glue. I put just the tiniest bit on the the bracket and the tripod center support tray (so I can get it off again if I need to) and that did the trick. Be careful if you do this because Gorilla glue expands a lot when it dries.

It's on rock solid and works great now. Hope this is helpful to you.

Clear Skies.

Jon Marinello
Santa Barbara, CA