Image of the day

Captured by
Paul Walsh

Wet beak - he had just skimmed the neighbor's pond.

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Upgrading to a go-to mount

Started by Rikki, 05/09/2007 04:26PM
Posted 05/09/2007 04:26PM Opening Post
I have a 10" Meade Starfinder I would like to upgrade to a go-to mount with remote PC control. I've been looking at the Orion Atlas EQ-G and the Celestron CG-5 and CGE. The EQ-G and CG-5 fit my budget right now, but should I wait a little longer and get the CGE?
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rikki
Posted 05/09/2007 05:16PM #1
The 10" Starfinder is far too much scope for the CG5 and similar IMO. Sure you can do it, but the wobbles are too much for my taste. I'd save for a CGE/G-11. Have you thought of just going with a "push To" by adding a DSC system on the mount you currently have? Perobably a far better bang for the buck.
Posted 05/09/2007 07:25PM #2
Hi Rikki,

About 6 months ago I bought a Skywatcher EQ-6 PRO which is the same mount as the Orion EQ-G. The mount has full GoTo and possibility to connect autoguider.
Before deciding what to buy, I set up some demands on the future mount:
- Full GoTo
- Capable of carrying at least 20 kilograms
- As few cables as possible

I thought for a while on the Losmandy G-11 but the specifications are about the same for EQ-6 Pro that have a much lower price so I bought this insted and I haven't regret this. A positive thing is also that the mount only have one external cable and that is for power supply.
The mount is a dream to set up and use and have no problem running my home made 10"/f:7 Newtonian with a camera connected and a guide scope mounted on it.

When taking this mount together with my 8" Schmidt-Newtonian and guide scope to a remote dark site, It take me about 20-30 minutes to set the mount and telescope up, polar align and start taking my first test exposures. I find this to be very acceptable.

As you understand, I strongly recommend the EQ-6 PRO/EQ-G mount.

Best Regards

Jonas