CME during Totality

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

8" F/6 Refractor

Started by De Lorme, 05/19/2012 03:03PM
Posted 05/19/2012 03:03PM Opening Post
Hi Everybody, Iv'e read that a 8" F6 refractor on DSO and planets is mediocre. If someone here could confirm this {or not} I would
really appreciate it. As I'm desprate for a large refractor and
a 8" F/9 would not work on my CGEM. My main interest are GC and GX. How would the Moon,Sun and Jupiter fair. Thanks for your help.

De Lorme
Posted 05/19/2012 04:00PM #1
Well, DSOs might fare well, but unfiltered views of anything bright will be
http://www.colorfulimages.com . 8)

I think you would be better served by a 10" SCT. Your CGEM will also thank you.

Jim McSheehy
Posted 05/29/2012 06:15AM | Edited 05/29/2012 06:16AM #2
An 8" f6 achromat is a somewhat unique scope. Dark skies and large fields of view are it's main claim to fame.

I built mine in a bit of a hurry more as a test of the lens. However it has worked so well, that I have never got around to doing a proper flocking and baffling job which I am sure would increase contrast.

Open clusters and large extended objects that most scopes just "see through" are it's main targets. Subtle low-contrast details seem to show better in these type of specialty scope.

Dark nebula around M11 and associated Scutum Star clouds, scanning the whole Sagittarius region at a dark sky location is a real treat. Galaxy hopping in Virgo is also great fun, when you can see groups of galaxies at a time.

I would not recommend this as anyone's first scope, and they are pretty expensive to buy new. But for an ATM like me, it has been a worthwhile journey.

If small galaxies and little globular clusters are your main targets, then it sounds like you will need more aperture and magnification than the 8" achromat can provide.

[COLOR="Blue"]
James Broussard said:

Hi Everybody, Iv'e read that a 8" F6 refractor on DSO and planets is mediocre. If someone here could confirm this {or not} I would
really appreciate it. As I'm desprate for a large refractor and
a 8" F/9 would not work on my CGEM. My main interest are GC and GX. How would the Moon,Sun and Jupiter fair. Thanks for your help.

De Lorme
[/COLOR][SIZE="Small"][/SIZE]

Attached Image:

David Simons's attachment for post 144298

David Simons