Aries SAFIX

Started by De Lorme, 12/30/2011 05:03AM
Posted 12/30/2011 05:03AM Opening Post
Hi, Has anybody have any experience with Aries SAFIX? I've been reading how they really help the C6R {of which I own}.
De Lorme
Posted 12/30/2011 05:24AM #1
Are you perhaps thinking of the Aries CHROMACOR instead? It is a chromatic aberration correction device optimized for the C6R. Works very well. There is typically some work to align the device with respect to the optical axis of the scope and main lens. They came in several corrections (O1, N, U1, etc.) to also optimize the spherical aberration. With a good alignment and match to the C6R, the performance at the field center was close to a true apochromat like the Astro-Physics 155 EDF. I did some side-by-side testing on Jupiter of these two setups, and visibility of small features in the cloud bands was very similar. This assumes you have a good C6R to start with -- one with only mild spherical aberration in green light, and no coma or astigmatism.

The Aries SAFIX was intended only to correct spherical aberration. It works well also. It can be used with any scope slower than F/5. But I suspect it is not what you are after. The main issue with the C6R design is the chromatic aberration, not the spherical aberration.
Posted 12/30/2011 11:38AM #2
James Broussard said:

Hi, Has anybody have any experience with Aries SAFIX? I've been reading how they really help the C6R {of which I own}.
De Lorme

Unless the scope in question suffers from _spherical aberraton_, it won't help. You want the (no longer produced as far as I know) Chromacorr.

I will say the SAFIX is one amazing device if'n you need it.

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/