Cygnus Wall

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Magic Glass (8inch F/7 Simi-Apo)

Started by klawson, 09/05/2005 08:22PM
Posted 09/05/2005 08:22PM | Edited 09/05/2005 08:57PM Opening Post
This is for the lens designers out there. Just something to play with. The design uses all common glasses except for one. Can anyone tell me if the "magic glass" can be made? If not, why? Just trying to learn something so please don't flame me 8) BTW, the design at F/9 is an APO. If anyone is interested I will post the data.

Attached Image:

klawson's attachment for post 26594

Scopejunkie

40 year old restored C14 with recirculating cooling w/Skywatcher DOB GOTO Conversion (CPC14)

Synscan DOB mounted Sky-Watcher Evostar 150mm/1200mm ED Refractor

"Rescued" Craig's List Orion 120mm/1000mm Refractor

USAF Vet

Posted 09/05/2005 10:14PM #1
The design uses all common glasses except for one. Can anyone tell me if the "magic glass" can be made? If not, why? Just trying to learn something so please don't flame me
-----

I am not a lens designer so I cannot really help you as to the difficulties and expenses involved with producing your "magic glass." I am a mechanical engineer. When I design something, I use materials that are available and well characterized rather than something that does not currently exist. I think optical designers use this same approach.

jon

Posted 09/06/2005 12:06AM #2
[COLOR="Maroon"]
Keith Lawson said:

This is for the lens designers out there. Just something to play with. The design uses all common glasses except for one. Can anyone tell me if the "magic glass" can be made? If not, why? Just trying to learn something so please don't flame me 8) BTW, the design at F/9 is an APO. If anyone is interested I will post the data.
[/COLOR]

Hi Keith,

Can you show the layout, and the off axis plots ?

Thanks,

David Simons
Posted 09/06/2005 06:57AM #3
Hello Keith, Ok I took the bait and loaded it into ATMOS...why would you even want to make this lense????

Yes, the spot in green light is great, at .01549 but Red and Blue are greater than 30mm and the coma is really bad...

Am I missing something???

Regards,

Preston

Keith Lawson said: