nice warm sun

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Aligning a mirror cell onto a mirror

Started by kendo, 08/07/2007 11:08AM
Posted 08/07/2007 11:08AM Opening Post
I have been building a 13.1" Albert Highe Dob (something like http://pw2.netcom.com/~ahighe/12_5ultra.html) and am nearing the stage of gluing the mirror cell to the back of the mirror.

Can you offer some hints and ideas for gluing and aligning the cell as I set it down on the mirror? I have thought of drawing pencil lines on the back of the mirror. But they would get visibly sealed under the silicone glue. And I like those beautiful clear mirror backs I see in photos of other peoples' scopes.

A jig? A template? Laser alignment? Hope for the best?

Many thanks.

Ken Landaiche
Posted 08/09/2007 09:18AM #1
OK, it looks like the consensus is to mark the mirror back, eyeball the placement of the mirror cell, and definitely wait that 24 hours so I don't disturb the cure process. wink

With all of the attention we pay to collimating a scope, and since no mirror cell I have seen has lateral adjustment, I thought gluing the cell to the mirror would take a lot more precision than this. I suppose that any slop introduced at this stage simply moves the optical axis slightly. And that can be compensated by the normal collimation process.

Many thanks for the input. Now I know I can do it! grin