ATM refractors one more step

Started by mclemens, 03/08/2004 09:59AM
Posted 03/08/2004 09:59AM Opening Post
I just couldn't wait for my final paint, and went ahead and had first-light on my ATM 6" TMB APO. It was spectacular! It gave me my finest views of Saturn ever on the first night out, which was a big relief seeing it all come together.

Here's a picture of the scope as it went out that first night. It's back in pieces again for painting now smile

Anyway, I wanted to share another picture of the results of that 3M aluminum polishing kit I mentioned a while back. Notice the dewshield ring in the picture above, and after about 45 minutes of polishing see the results below. There are still some scratches you can see, so it's going back under the polishing paper some more, but the 3M kit is great, especially with a lathe spinning the piece. Here is the stuff:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?E152215A7

Attached Image:

mclemens's attachment for post 13863
Posted 03/08/2004 03:04PM #1
That's beautiful! You really need to paint the OTA black--do not succumb to the temptation to paint it white (unless you do a deep lacquer pearlescent)!!

How much did you pay for the objective?

(Wow)

Lee
Posted 03/08/2004 03:16PM #2
Mike, Beautiful scope. I've been out of web circles, lately. Is that a 6" OD main tube? How 'bout those baffles? What focuser did you use?
Jim B.