Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Binoculars from MCTs or SCTs

Started by light trap, 05/14/2002 03:10AM
Posted 05/14/2002 03:10AM Opening Post
For a few years I've had this idea of making jumbo binoculars from paired MCTs. (Hey, it's less crazy than the several folks that've made them from paired Dobs!) The ones I have in mind are 1000mm compact, barrel focusing MCTs'. I'd like to pick this group's collective brains for potential downsides, pitfalls and project killers.

How much light and image quality would be lost from using two diagonals per scope (ie. 4 total) hooked together like plumbing fittings? I'm thinking of using either (2) 90*'s per scope or (1) 90* and (1) 45* prism per scope to act like elbows and to bring the eyepieces together in bino fashion. This seems like such an obvious idea that I'm sure there are some fundamental flaws in it that I'm blind to. Help me see what's wrong with this idea. I'd appreciate feedback on this.

Thanks,
Mike Swaim
Posted 09/10/2002 01:34AM #1
Did you ever build your binos? I have a pair of 83mm f6 lenses I want make into binos. I'm looking for tips and suggestions on interocular mechanics and spacing betwwen the main tubes. Thanks, Randy