Saturn 2004-2022

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Equatorial Cradle

Started by jacobson, 12/15/2004 07:51PM
Posted 12/15/2004 07:51PM Opening Post
Here's a picture of an equatorial mount I built for my 14" Newtonian. It's sort of a Dobsonian cradle tipped over to point north. The cradle and base are separate pieces. The cradle's dimensions and weight are about the same as a Dobsonian, so the only weight/size penalty is the separate base. I recently installed a motor drive.

I sawed the tube in half at the middle; the two pieces snap together and are connected by a pair of aluminum bars. There is a rotating bearing just below the focuser, so the eyepiece can easily be moved around to a comfortable position. The finder is one half of a binocular.

The mount works very well. It's not as solid as a Dobsonian, taking about 3 to 5 seconds to settle down after giving the tube a "thump", but vibration is rarely a problem.

Attached Image:

jacobson's attachment for post 20818
Posted 12/15/2004 10:38PM #1
Unique design and quite practical.
Floyd

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager
Posted 12/15/2004 11:59PM #2
Dick,
Inspired!Glad you got around to posting a picture.
The footprint and base look quite elegant and right.
Sturdy too.
Is it gravity,mostly, that holds it down to the eq. plane,or do the "what do you call'em" rod rigging like straps to the trunnion axes play a part?
Is collimation a problem at all when rotating the focus assembly ?
I got to go to work!
Bruce
Posted 12/17/2004 08:59PM #3
That mount is awesome. I can't add much to what others have said - excellent job.
Posted 02/19/2005 08:45PM #4
When are you going to start taking orders?