Comet Neowise setting over Mt. Princeton, July 18

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Laminating plywood

Started by williamichang, 07/17/2003 10:46AM
Posted 07/17/2003 10:46AM Opening Post
Is it really necessary to park a truck on the plywood to be laminated, as shown in The Book? How much PSI is enough? Thanks,

-- William
Posted 07/18/2003 02:37PM #1
William,

I use springbars, slightly curved pieces of lumber which extend across the plywood on one or both sides and which are then clamped tightly. If you clamp the ply to a very solid flat surface, you only put the bars across one side, if not, do both sides, but it's harder to get it to come out flat.

Use a roller or brush to spread the glue on both surfaces [unless you are using urethane glue], and be sure it's still wet when you clamp. If you use urethane, moisten one side with water before clamping.

James Adams
Posted 07/18/2003 08:33PM #2
Inexpensive plastic spring clamps are available everywhere now and work extremely well. I use one of these every 4" to 6" around the perimeter of a piece to ensure the edges are tightly glued. If the part is too large for spring clamps alone, which have a short reach, 80lb bags of concrete post mix are only a couple dollars each and work great. I will throw two or three of those on. This method avoids car-jacking ;^), screw holes (which works well otherwise), and expensive clamps. Once you have a set of these cheap clamps, you will use them all the time--very handy.

Harbor Freight Tools sells a package of 18 for $15. They are sometimes cheaper at the local store:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45975

Attached Image:

P. Lee Stock's attachment for post 69292
Posted 07/20/2003 09:51PM #3
The forces used in manufacturing plywood are way way in excess of those attained by using the weight of a car. It's not overkill at all and in fact, I recommend you use a big car or truck. Trust me folks, I know this one.