Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Next Astrograph for Sierra Chaparral

Started by hbastro, 04/19/2013 03:29PM
Posted 04/19/2013 03:29PM Opening Post
Thought I'd post a CAD rendering for the next Astrograph currently under construction for the Sierra Chaparral Observatory. Its a 12.5"F/6.8 Schmidt Cassegrain. Primary mirror is complete and the other optics including the corrector plate are in fine ground state. Tooling for the aspheres is being worked at the moment... Dave

Attached Image:

hbastro's attachment for post 57391
Posted 04/25/2013 02:33AM #1
Doesn't seem to be much interest in this but I'll give it another try and show some glass grin

I set this project aside a few years ago to work on building Sierra Chaparral Observatory.

Attached is an image of the glass nearly ready for finishing. The 12.6" fused silica primary is complete. The fused silica secondary is generated. The Schmidt corrector is NBK7 and the lens elements are shop friendly crown and flint, nothing exotic here. All are ready for fine grinding.

With the observatory site nearly complete and more than a years site survey data a 12" F/7 seems a good first larger scope. I am reluctant to make such a slow instrument but want something for this time of year when the big hole in the Milky Way lets all that ancient light from those galaxies through, and image scale is important. I may opt for something else as more site survey data comes in, but this is the current project. If there is interest I'll post details of construction on my web site www.hbastro.com as the project matures...
Dave

Attached Image:

hbastro's attachment for post 147036