Moon 2023

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

RC Telescope Design

Started by newtgem, 01/25/2008 03:31AM
Posted 01/25/2008 03:31AM Opening Post
Forgive my ignorance - please. The fact is that few of us know the nomenclature of each major telescope design.

A Newtonian design is basically a parabolic or spherical primary combined with a seccondary flat.

A Schmidt Cassegrain, Maksutov Cassegrain, RC, Yolo, APO, etc is essential describing an optical path from initial incidence to resulting focal plane for an eyepiece, ccd, or other instrument. A newtonian would be a PMFM or SMFM.

When I utter the words "Ritchey" or "Schmidt", I really don't know what I'm talking about. Maybe there schould be an effort to standardize descriptions by using acronyms incorporating letters like "H" for hyperbola, "S" for spherical, "F" for flat", and so on.

Honestly - the Meade system uses a refractive element in place of more expensive reflective profiles to achieve the same end.

Armchair astronmy catches all of us using terms we don't really understand. My mouth moves, but I'm far from knowledgeable enough to speak authoritatively. Meade will have to just get over it. Maybe someday they won't have to treat customer service as a waste of their time.
Posted 01/25/2008 04:53AM | Edited 01/25/2008 04:54AM #1
Maybe someday they won't have to treat customer service as a waste of their time.

On the December 17th I sent my PST into Meade for warranty work. It took one phone call to arrange for the work, I did call once to see about the progress and today the scope arrived handsomely packaged in an real PST shipping box all bright and beautiful.

I have had three MEade scopes that needed warranty work, they have always been friendly and the work has been completed in a timely manner.

Glad they finally settled the R-C deal. It was pretty sleezy from the beginning, building a fancy SCT and trying to grab some name recognition...

Jon
Posted 01/25/2008 02:24PM #2
It's a touch more complicated than the shapr of the mirrors, though.

For instance, by definition, all Cassegrain's have a hole in the central mirror through which the light passes to focus behind the main. Schmidt's have a thin, relatively flat corrector plate (which your P/S/F doesn't account for) and Maksutov's have a significantly deeper, thicker corrector plate.

I admit, I really cannot memorize all the definitions, and have to look them up if I need them for some reason.

Alex