Broadshouldered Hawk

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Very Poor Vacation Planning

Started by Peter Glus, 07/18/2006 05:43AM
Posted 07/18/2006 05:43AM Opening Post
I live in NYC and have been in the hobby for about a year, constantly struggling with my local light pollution (lim. mag of ~3.5). When my wife and I decided to go on vacation near the outer banks of North Carolina I got EXTREEMELY exited. I quickly looked up the town we would be staying at on the light pollution map, and saw that it was the darkest rating ("milky way is ANNOYINGLY bright"). So, I bougght my binocs, my super finder, my charts, etc. (couldn't justify lugging the whole C8 down) and with eager expectation awaited night. Unfortunately, I CAUGHT THE FULL MOON! THE LIMITING MAG WAS BARELY BETTER THAN NYC! I never saw the milky way, but I did see the full Ursa Minor towards the end of the week, so I am thinking 4.5ish was lim mag. Anyway, the moral of the story is to plan the dark sky vacation with a new moon!

Posted 07/19/2006 09:51AM #1
My wife is savvy enough to know that we plan our vacations around the moon... Doesn't always happen but we try.

Of course one can always go to bed early and get up at midnight or whenever to catch the dark skies, I often do that during the time before the full moon.

Jon
Posted 07/21/2006 09:43AM #2

Wow ... and you admitted to this oversight in public... ouch!

Peter Glus said:\...and with eager expectation awaited night. Unfortunately, I CAUGHT THE FULL MOON! THE LIMITING MAG WAS BARELY BETTER THAN NYC! I never saw the milky way, but I did see the full Ursa Minor towards the end of the week, so I am thinking 4.5ish was lim mag. Anyway, the moral of the story is to plan the dark sky vacation with a new moon!