What did I see?

Started by Herbert Kraus, 03/13/2006 06:19PM
Posted 03/13/2006 06:19PM | Edited 03/13/2006 06:21PM Opening Post
Observing the fine triple star Sigma Orionis last night (March 12), I saw an object moving within my field of view. I suppose it must have been an artificial satellite, but because its behavior differed from what I've usually seen for these objects, I am asking what it was. At some time between 9:00 and 10:00 pm PST on 3/12/06, this object appeared in the starfield around R.A. 5h 39m, decl. -2ยบ36', moving in a general east-south-easterly direction, but instead of presenting a steady glow it was blinking on and off. Mostly it was off, but every 3 seconds or so its light came on for about half a second at the brightness of a star of about 8th or 9th magnitude (I compared it to the star at the eastern point of the arrow-like asterism that includes Sigma Orionis in its middle). The object moved fairly slowly, covering about 3 to 5 arcminutes between each of its blinks that occurred about 3 seconds apart. What was I seeing?

NexStar 8i SCT, Orion 80ED APO refractor, Orion 120 mm EQ refractor, 3.5-inch Questar
Posted 03/13/2006 06:46PM #1
I saw something similar at WSP2005. Someone explained that it was probably space junk such as old satellites or lost rocket stages tumbling in orbit. The blinking is caused by the sun's reflection off various panels as the object tumbles. It was further explained that the height of the orbit can be calculated by the apparent motion across the sky. When the object appears to move slowly, it is way out there.

clear skies,
dan