Moon 2023

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Winter Alternatives To Mt Pinos

Started by Rod Kaufman, 02/05/2008 03:31PM
Posted 02/05/2008 03:31PM Opening Post
With the road to Mt Pinos closed at the "Y" due to heavy snow, does anyone have alternative viewing sites in mind?
I'm considering Walker Pass or Fossil Falls for dark skies. Any feedback from anyone on these sites at this time of year?
Posted 02/05/2008 06:10PM | Edited 02/05/2008 06:18PM #1
Hi Rod,
Walker Pass could be ok, but if it is windy, it is real windy.
Fossil Falls, well when I went there for a few days, it was really dark and clear, but the seeing seems to be rather soft there. Not sure if that is true all the time, but it seems to be from winds over the mountains and the turbulence that this causes. Again, if the wind is up it is real windy there too.
This is Fossil Falls looking East.
I will be going to either Wind Wolves Preserve here at the southern end of the valley or to Ballinger Canyon, near New Cuyama. Not sure which nights yet, Friday looks good and Saturday is partly cloudy about 65°f high and 36°f low for the night. Friday night might be the best bet, partly cloudy you just never know.
I may also go out during the week this week to Wind Wolves as it is suppose to be clear until Friday.

Attached Image:

fblue's attachment for post 120081

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager
Posted 02/11/2008 03:45AM #2
Sorry I missed this, guys, but I have been out of town....

You are always welcome in Landers, at Goat Mountain Astronomical Research Station. It is not further than the places you guys have been mentioning, and has the facilities you need.

See details at rivastro.org.

Alex