Image of the day

Captured by
Terry Wood

Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Goals Accomplished... Now all it does is rain.

Started by [email protected], 05/06/2016 03:41PM
Posted 05/06/2016 03:41PM Opening Post
Since the End of 2015, I was given the advice of setting goals for 2016. Thus far I have had very limited time to think about anything too lofty, but I was able to get my University Superfinder in a good position for my 8 inch 2080 meade SCT. I have probably taken it out twice this year, which is a little depressing. However, I came by a nice 127mm Astrozap refractor and have taken it for a spin around 5 times and have been pleasantly surprised with what I have seen. Since it has a long focal length, 1200mm f/9, It gives a nice wide view for my 2" EPs and I can hit some decent magnifications with 1.25"s on good seeing evenings. (Of course the SCT is better for the magnifications without color aberration.)

I upgraded some of my 1.25" eyepieces and found that I can see why Tele Vue is highly regarded when you have a decent telescope to look through. I am in wait for testing out a few eyepieces as it has been cloudy and rainy in Pittsburgh for the last month... I have a 6.7mm ES 82 degree, Tele Vue 6mm Delos and an Antares SW 8.5-12mm zoom. I have high expectations for the Zoom and Delos but quite low ones for the ES. We'll see though.

I also came by the 2.1*40 Vixen Bins for constellation viewing per advice on learning the constellations. I have been really struggling with them and find them a little disorienting, so my goal with those are to adjust and then start running through constellations. I got the Bins because I live pretty close to downtown Pittsburgh and there is a lot of light pollution and in the least, a few more stars are visible than without them.

Other than that, I think this is the best I have viewed Jupiter thus far and I finally viewed Mercury as the sun was setting. Other than that, it has been a rainy first half of the year. Here is to hope that it clears up this summer.

Clear Skies,

Matt
Posted 05/06/2016 06:14PM #1
http://www.skyshedpodpa.com/about.html