Jupiter 7-24-2020

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Help me accessorize! $50 at a time...

Started by Lee_S, 07/31/2005 08:30AM
Posted 07/31/2005 08:30AM Opening Post
I'm excited to have an Orion Observer 70 alt-az refractor coming my way. It will have 25mm and 10mm Explorer II eyepieces. I'll be initially doing planetary and lunar observing in a light polluted urban location (Atlanta) with occasional excursions to the country.

My question: where should I spend my next $50 in accessories?

I've been considering a barlow or a 6 to 7mm eyepiece or some filters. I've also been wondering how Apogee's close out Plossls ($15) would work. Any suggestions...

Thanks!

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]
Posted 08/04/2005 06:26PM #1
Lee,
I found myself in your place not so long ago. The best accessory under $50 in my book is Baader Solar film. With it you can make your own solar filter safely and cheaply. You won't see the things advertised in the Coronado ads but for the price the magnified sun spots are pretty interesting and it gives you something to do with the scope during the day. Here's one source, I'm sure Google can provide many more.

http://www.astro-physics.com/index.htm?products/accessories/solar_acc/astrosolar

-Mike
Posted 08/25/2005 08:03PM #2
Thanks for all the advice. I'm pretty happy with my scope. Now, I've just got to escape the city lights...

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]